Friday, December 11, 2009

Sneak Peek

We have finally decided on a name. Before I was pregnant I knew this would be the name of our baby girl. I kind of have a hard time choosing only one name because it's so definite so I think I want to consider all the names we like. But honestly I felt really good about this name before I was pregnant and I always come back to it no matter how flippy floppy I am during pregnancy. Also it is one that me and Mark both entirely agree upon without reservations. So without further ado:

(She really liked having her little hands up by her head)

(more proof that she is indeed a girl)

For all you fantasy geeks out there yes we got the name Arya from The Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini. For those of you who are wondering how to pronounce it or haven't looked at the pronunciation guide in the back of the books it is pronounced R-E-uh. Not like the "area" of a triangle and definitely NOT like the sound you make when you say di"arrhea". It also is NOT like "how 'are ya'?" or A-rye-uh. So to break it down once again it is Ar-like Are, y-like a hard E and a-like uh. Arya. The reason I am being so dramatic about the pronunciation is because quite a few people I have written the name to have been confused about the pronunciation and the above "not" examples are pronunciations that people have misunderstood that deifnitely are not right. :) We are working on finding a better spelling but it is hard since we both like the spelling the way it is. We don't like it spelt Aria so much....though maybe more people would get it right...What do you guys think?

Elizabeth is not really a family name for either me or Mark but because I am a big Pride and Prejudice fan I always thought that if I married someone with the last name Bennett how could I not have a daughter with the name Elizabeth. And oddly enough I did marry someone with the last name Bennett:) Well for the sake of not being so cliche we decided to use Elizabeth as a middle name. And we both think the names sound very pretty together. So there's our little sneak peek at Arya. I already think she's so adorable and I love her so much. We can't wait to meet her in person.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE the name! I'm glad you went with that one. And Elizabeth is one of my favorites as well. You are going to have the best named kid around, not to mention I'm pretty sure she'll be adorable! Congrats on all your life changing events. :)

Christine said...

good name! if i remember right, were you considering that with audree? or am i making things up in my old age...

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty name. As someone who has everyone and their dog mispronounce my name, I would suggest a spelling that makes it easiest to pronounce. Everyone calls me Cannon or ch-annon, and it drives me nuts. I'm constantly spelling it out loud anytime I am asked my name. Chances are with an uncommon name like that though, she will have to do it anyway, so maybe it doesn't really matter, so just go with that you like?

Rylie said...

What a beautiful name! We are all about unique names! People have problems all the time pronoucing Arista's name right.

Laura said...

I like how you're going with literature in your naming. My parents unknowingly named me after Laura Ingalls Wilder, whose birth name was Laura Elizabeth Ingalls. Obviously, I love the middle name you've chosen.

Also, the music nerd in me likes Arya because it's only one word difference with "aria" (a type of operatic solo).