Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sorcerers, Dragons, Doctors and More

You know the term "closet ____?" Kinda like that song from high school musical, "Stick to the Status Quo..." there's the guy who is the closet baker, the girl who is the closet dancer etc. Well I am a closet sci-fi/fantasy geek. Maybe not so "closet" as I used to be, I think I have Mark to thank for that, but I have found as I get older I care less about how geeky it may be to enjoy watching things like Star Trek the Next Generation. So in case any of you didn't know I LOVE fantasy book, fantasy/sci-fi shows and fantasy/sci-fi movies.

Lately I've been on a real kick and I find myself indulging in the fantasy world more than ever. Just a couple months ago I read the Harry Potter series for the umpteenth time and I found that I just wanted more but obviously I couldn't get more out of Harry Potter. I wanted to read some other really good fantasy books but didn't really know where to start. I feel it hard to get into another series after just finishing a really good one. So what did I find to fill the gap?

Well let me share with you another tidbit about myself first. I love tv/mini-series marathons. Whenever I see on the tv guide that the next 6 hours are filled with a show I can't help but go over and take a peek. Sometimes I stay on and sometimes I don't. Like a little while ago I sci that Dinotopia was playing on the SyFy channel. Do any of you remember Dinotopia?


So I hopped on over and wasted an entire morning and afternoon watching it. Thank goodness for DVR's and the pause button or this obsession of mine would turn me into a really bad mother! I've even watched a bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer just because there was a marathon and I used to love Sarah Michelle Gellar...but I can't really say it was tempting enough to bring m back on other days when there are better things to watch.

So anyways, a little while back I saw that there was a Merlin marathon. I had seen them on a couple times previously and had switched over to look at it but was always interrupted with other things or maybe feeling a little ashamed like maybe it was too nerdy to wanna watch. Well on a particularly slow and boring today I decided to watch it. I realized after a couple episodes that I had come in halfway through the 3rd and most recent season. I also realized that I had actually already seen the pilot of this show a couple years previous when my sister wanted me to watch it with her. I quickly hopped on hulu and was elated to see that the first 2 seasons were available, no hulu+ required! I love this show! I love this perspective on the character Merlin. I love the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. It's pretty clean in that there isn't much inappropriateness in any aspect and the blood and gore is very very minimal...may be disappointing to people who enjoy that stuff but I really don't so this was a great fit for me :) I obsessively searched for the 3rd season episodes I hadn't seen and found them and really enjoyed them. I am very excited that there is a fourth season coming in the Fall!

Since my evenings with Merlin have ended for now I decided to take up Doctor Who. Marks mother would mention it pretty frequently and I had seen mention of it by various friends on facebook. I wasn't really convinced I wanted to watch it but I saw that there was going to be a marathon so I thought, what the heck! Surprisingly I have enjoyed it. I have seen all the episodes with the newest Doctor, Matt Smith, so I am by no means a Doctor Who expert in reference to previous Doctors. I have now seen 3 episodes with the previous Doctor and maybe it's just the order I've watched them in but I think I like the new Doctor a bit better. I like the permanence of Amy Ponds character as well as Rory and I like the quirkiness of The Doctor. The first 2 episodes of this new season really had me on the edge of my seat. Good stuff!

And if I can't get any geekier I am now going to read Fablehaven. I had heard of it before many a time but really wasn't convinced it would be as good as my favorite 2 fantasy series, Harry Potter and The Inheritance Cycle. I recently have heard a few people mention it as their favorite series so I thought it's about time I read it! I've also been meaning to read Game of Thrones...well I guess the whole Fire and Ice series but I would like to hear anyone else' opinion on it who has read it to hopefully convince me a little more that I wanna devote a big chunk of my time to reading it.

Was this a boring post? Does anyone really care to hear these things about me? Did most of you already know these things about me? I dunno, but I've been wanting to blog something without much to blog about and this was the best I had. Plus it's part of who I am and this is a blog about who we, the Bennett family are, so I think it's appropriate. :)

2 comments:

Mark said...

You're a geek. I'm a geek. We're all geeks. And you're sexy.

Rebecca said...

Hahahahaha you are sexy, miss Sami. Embrace your inner geekiness :)