Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Another one?!?!

This post has been a long time coming.  I first wrote a post about 9 weeks ago knowing I wouldn't post it until later.  Then I wrote another post a couple weeks back and was intent on publishing it but just couldn't bring myself to give up the news yet.  Well, if you've been on facebook then you have probably seen that yes, we are indeed expecting another baby. 

I have decided not to publish those posts I wrote a while back but I am going to highlight them right here in a summarized manner. 

-I didn't find out I was pregnant til a week and a half after I usually do.  Why?  Because I truly and honestly didn't think it was possible for me to be pregnant.  My cycles started to be a little off so I started taking my basal body temperature in order to pin down the consistencies in each cycle, if there were any.  My readings ended up being confusing and caused me to think I ovulated a week later than I did.  Going off of that it just wouldn't have been possible to be pregnant.  I later did some research and found out that the seeming abnormalities of my readings are actually something called a triphasic bbt. and that would explain where my confusion came from. 

-It took 5 months of trying with Arya so I wasn't expecting to get pregnant right away.  I was thinking we were more likely to end up with a Fall baby instead of a Spring baby.  The shock of finding out I was pregnant caused me a lot of anxiety.  The beginning of my pregnancy was full of mini panic attacks and lots of anxiety that luckily by now has abated. 

-We wanted to see how long we could keep the pregnancy a secret.  I told a select few immediate family members and my visiting teachers but other than that have kept it to ourselves.  It was hard at first but the more I kept the secret the less I wanted to tell it.  I wrote an update 2 weeks ago at my 12 week appointment but decided to hold off until my 14 week ultrasound. 

-I didn't start off feeling very sick.  Then I began to have some major food aversions and often if I ate something I couldn't even think about having it again.  Those feelings escalated and remained bad for about 2 weeks and then around 9/10 weeks I began feeling a lot better.  I began to crave food more and eating in the morning was a lot easier.  By 12 weeks I was hardly feeling sick at all but after my appointment I started to feel sick again but bearably so.  I'm still feeling the blahs but am finding as the days go by I am able to function more normally.  I haven't thrown up at all, though I came close a couple times when dealing with Audree's potty rebellion. 

-My other symptoms have probably been the worst part of this pregnancy so far.  The anxiety, the lack of emotional connection to the pregnancy, the heartburn and indigestion, the constipation and the fatigue all have been a lot worse than the morning sickness.  I actually have felt blessed to have only had about 2 weeks of feeling really sick this pregnancy.  The other symptoms have been a lot more debilitating. 

-I am now in my 2nd trimester and a lot of my early symptoms are going away.  I don't feel as anxious and haven't had any panic attacks in a while.  I am feeling only mildly nauseous, I am not nearly as tired as I was and after my recent ultrasound I am starting to feel a lot more connected to this baby.  That and the fact I've already felt this baby move once or twice has really helped out. 

-Baby B has been really evasive when it comes to finding the heartbeat.  At my 12 week appointment, no matter how hard we tried, we could not get the heartbeat on the doppler.  Finally they just pulled out the ultrasound machine and she found the baby and saw that there was a nice little heartbeat beating strong.  Then at the ultrasound yesterday B was so fidgety that it took her a bit to get the heartbeat.  Luckily the heartbeat was really strong at 178 bpm. 

-Early on in the pregnancy I was putting off scheduling my first appointment with my doctor.  It was causing me a lot of anxiety...for who knows why.  So as I periodically do I decided to search if any midwives, preferably the ones that deliver at Orem Community, took our insurance.  In the past no one in the area did.  I've thought long and hard about having a midwife as opposed to a doctor and I felt like I really wanted to do it, but that they never take our insurance.  Well imagine my surprise when I searched midwives that deliver at Orem Community that take our insurance and 4 ladies popped up.  Finally I wasn't so reluctant to schedule that first appointment. 

-I actually see a group 3 midwives.  In my 2 appointments so far I've met with 2 of them.  So far I have loved them.  It's been so easy to talk to them and I feel like in just the one meeting with each of them I feel more comfortable than I ever did with 2 whole pregnancies with my other doctor.  What I love is the extra care and attention.  They want to know about me, how pregnancies have been for me, how I'm feeling now.  They even make sure to call me or send me a letter when the results of an ultrasound or papsmear come in.  I like that a lot better than just assuming that everything is fine if no one calls. 

-The thing that I've noticed about the midwives, that I really like, is how down to earth they are.  They don't get caught up in the extremes and aren't pushy.  They just care about getting you and your baby through pregnancy and labor and delivery safely.  If I want an epidural, they will gladly get me one.  If I don't, then they'll help me as best they can. 

-My first ultrasound at 10 weeks was to find out if the estimated doa was accurate.  Because my cycles had been off the midwife wanted to make sure we weren't more than a week off.  At that appointment baby measure 5 days behind.  At this appointment baby measured right on at 14 weeks.  So things are looking good with baby. 

-The reason for my 14 week ultrasound was because in my previous one they found a fibroid.  The tech wasn't sure if it was the first time but the radiologist who reviewed it wanted me to come back for a check up on it.  So when the tech was measuring the fibroid she didn't really know if it was bigger than before but we are praying it doesn't grow and doesn't interfere with this pregnancy.  At my 12 week appointment the midwife said my uterus felt more like a 14 weeks uterus so it's likely that the fibroid is the cause of that.  We weren't sure it was a fibroid but now I'm certain it is.  It scares me a little but I am trying not to be too concerned about it. 

-The tech checked for gender at this appointment.  We have a definite preference of what we want and she had an idea of what she thought it was but I am not going to say because it's really early and baby B was keeping those legs closed pretty tight.  In fact B wasn't cooperating at all.  We wanted a nice profile picture and after lots of moving around and jiggling my belly we got the best pic we could.  Silly baby.  The tech said it's hands were up by the face most of the time and it was in fetal position which is funny as most babies like to stretch out at this point.  The hands in the face made the image not as clear but after much persuasion on our part we finally got some decent pictures.  The best we could considering.  

 -This was the 10 week appointment.  A disappointing shot to say the least.  I wasn't going to post it at all but I decided to anyways. 

-The next 3 are from my 14 week appointment.  I just love profile pics!  How can I not be completely in love with this baby?

  

-We are very grateful that we are blessed to be pregnant again.  My official due date is May 15th.  I wont be getting induced this time unless a medical need arises but considering my past experiences with Audree coming a week early on her own and Arya if I hadn't been induced would have likely come a couple days after I was induced a week early, I am not too concerned about going over my due date.  If I do, than this will be a whole new experience for me.  I can't wait to find out the for sure the gender of little B!  I could probably get the appointment before Christmas but for money reasons we are going to try and put it off til after the new year.  A little disappointing but worth the 200 or so bucks we'll eventually save. 





5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I hope you get the gender you're thinking. ;) I'm glad everything is going smoothly. Let me know if you need anything!

Rylie said...

I am so excited for you guys! How fun that we share the same due date!! You are so lucky you are feeling better, I hope that I feel better soon! Happy growing!

Wanderingfamilies said...

YAY! I knew you'd love the midwives...they are AWESOME! Let me know how I can help! And is there a reason you are calling the baby "BabyB"?? :)

Sami and Mark said...

In my mind baby B means like 3 different things...but the only thing that is for sure is that our last name is Bennett and I wanted to say something other than baby #3. But in all honesty we think/hope this baby is a boy and the name I like starts with a "B." Unfortunately Mark doesn't like the name like I do so really all the B for sure means is baby Bennett :)

Melissa said...

Congrats on baby b! :) Three is lots of fun! 3rd time was a charm for us in the boy deptartment. Hope it is for you too! =) My girlies LOVE their baby brother, but now they say they want a baby sister for Christmas! Haha!

=)Melissa