Friday, August 1, 2008

We have passed the two week mark


So we have made it through what is supposedly the hardest part of having a newborn! I am feeling great and Audree is doing great. We went to our second appointment with a pediatrician. Our first one was a terrible experience with a jerkwad pediatrician that we somehow got an appointment with. Thank goodness we found a new one that hasn't placed himself on such a high pedestal. The appointment this past thursday went really well. Audree is back to her birth weight! Which for some reason the first pediatrician, we shall call him doctor cornhead, said that her decrease in weight was a problem. Dr. Wynn, our new pediatrician, says that they like babies to be back to their birth weight by two weeks. So everything is just great with Audree. They measured her and weighed her and everything is looking great. Her height is in the 72nd percentile. Her weight is in the 37th percentile and her head is in the 50th percentile. Except for a small problem Audree is perfectly healthy and doing just great. She got her foot pricked and they took samples of her blood to test for 26 different genetic disorders. As of now we know of nothing wrong with her and they said no call is good news. Anyways, the small problem we have is a stiff neck. Because of this we have to give her lots of tummy time to work her muscles and we have to rotate her head in different ways to loosen the muscle up. It has been funny watching her on her tummy. Sometimes she gets so dang frustrated, which is so terribly cute, and other times she is so exhausted and she falls right to sleep...which is really unfortunate because she is not supposed to be sleeping on her stomach so I have to turn her over and generally that wakes her up which is no fun. What's even less fun is teaching her to soothe herself to sleep. The pediatrician wants us to start putting her down when she is almost asleep and letting her fuss herself to sleep. Until one becomes a mom they cannot know how hard it is to do this. We have been trying it out the last few days and it has been really hard. Especially since she usually doesn't cry herself to sleep. She usually screams for an hour or two until it is time for her to eat again, then she falls asleep while I am feeding her and the point of letting her soothe herself to sleep becomes, well pointless. I admit I often give in. It breaks my heart to hear her cry so hard and I feel like such a terrible mom. Like right now she is just laying on me and is so peaceful that I just don't want to put her down and wake her. But I guess it is important for babies to learn to soothe themselves to sleep. Hopefully we'll get it down soon. It's especiallly hard at night time when all I want to do is sleep, so sitting there listening to her cry for two hours isn't very easy. The past couple of nights have been good because we have put her in her bassinet after she falls asleep and she stays asleep for three hours. That's just great and me and Mark get to stay in the same room when we do it this way. But when we let her cry herself to sleep one of us has to leave the room so Mark can get some sleep. So it is hard. But we want to do things right. And I guess sleep is one of those sacrifices you make when you have a newborn. :) But I wouldn't trade sleep for my precious little Audree. She is just too sweet and she makes me smile so much. And of course being the emotional post pardum woman that I am I even cry because I can't believe I was blessed with something so amazing and wonderful. What a precious gift me and Mark have been given. I feel so much joy right now. I am so blessed.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh Sami! I'm so glad things are going well. It must be hard to hear her cry. I'm nervous for the day I enter motherhood - It's encouraging for me to see how you are doing with it. Congrats again - she is beautiful! Keep the updates coming!

Miri said...

Hey! The other night was fun, I'm glad we got to hang out again. What do you think about Thursday or Friday for playing Ticket to Ride? Saturday would be fine too, so whatever works best for you and Tyler and Christine. Also, when are we gonna go shopping?