
Book: The Orchard
Author: Krista Lynne Jensen
Genre: LDS fiction/Romance
Recommended: 12+
Book Summary:
On the idyllic shores of Flathead Lake, Montana, Alisen Embry finds purpose and comfort tending her late mother’s cherry orchard adjacent to the family’s beloved lake house. Though pained by the loss of her mother and her father’s estrangement, it is Derick Whitney—the man she fell in love with four years earlier—who truly influences Alisen’s view of her future . . .
Derick and Alisen wanted nothing more than to spend eternity together; however, intolerance and secrets forced Alisen to make a shattering choice between her family and the man she loved.
But destiny always has a way of setting things right . . .
Now the Embry family has found themselves hopelessly in debt, and they realize renting the lake house is the only hope of saving the cherished orchard and family home. When Alisen discovers the new tenants have a connection to her past, her life takes an unexpected turn. Will fate find a way to reconnect what was broken so many years before?
Goodreads rating: 3.88
My rating: 8 out of 10
First off, when I got this book I had no idea that it would basically be a modern lds retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. Just a couple pages into the book I was like, hmmm, there something about this that seems familiar. A little bit farther in and I was getting a definite Jane Austen feel. A little bit more and I was seeing definite elements from Persuasion and as I continued to read all the parts that would make this a retelling of Persuasion were all there.
I always enjoy a good retelling of Austen's classics. Whether modern or LDS or southern I am always willing to give the book a try. The first retelling of Persuasion I ever read was For Darkness Shows the Stars. Which was great with a completely unique setting. Then I read Persuaded by Jenni James which was one of a series set in New Mexico with high school aged characters. They all had things that made them unique but what made this one stand out for me was getting to read from the POV of Derick as well as Alisen and even on occasion her father, aunt and sister. But reading things from Derick's POV helps you understand why he does what he does and you can feel what he feels and you are there with him as he realizes he can't live without Alisen. I also liked getting to actually experience the relationship before everything happened. If you like a good Austen retelling and you enjoy LDS fiction then I would definitely recommend this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment