Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book Review


12171789

Book: Not My Type: A Single Girl's Guide to Doing It All Wrong
Author: Melanie Jacobson
Genre: LDS fiction/Romance/Humor
Recommended: 12+

Book Summary:
 Twenty-three-year-old Pepper Spicer is not living the dream. She ended her engagement at the last minute because her fiancĂ© -- a musician and soon-to-be reality TV star -- wanted her to sacrifice her own career ambitions for his.

Now she's stuck at home sharing a room with her little sister, trying to pay off massive debt for a wedding that didn't happen, and spending Friday nights Facebook-stalking everyone who has a better life. Her therapist father urges her to choose her career dreams and count her blessings by writing weekly thank you notes, but gratitude is a tall order when she botches an important job interview and has to settle for writing an undercover dating web-zine column -- the last thing in the world she wants to do. Still, as Pepper (byline: Indie Girl) chronicles her bizarre and hilarious blind dates, she gives her father's challenge a try and slowly finds herself leaving self-pity behind. Life takes a major upswing as Pepper's column hits the big time and she tastes the exhilarating thrill of success. But there's one tiny problem: the intensely hot man she's falling for is having issues with her job (again). Will Pepper trade her personal ambition for another chance at love?


Goodreads rating: 4.09
My rating: 9

So here's the thing about Melanie Jacobson.  I have enjoyed all her books and looked forward to reading every single one of them.  The one thing that bugs me though is that she tends to write about super independent female leads with commitment issues.  Sometimes the pattern gets annoying when the main character tries so hard to not be in a relationship.  I chose to review this specific book because it is my favorite.  

Why is this book my favorite of hers?  Well first off the main character's name is Pepper Spicer. And her siblings names are Cory(Coriander), Mace, Ginger and Rosemary.  Second, Pepper was the least commitment phobe of all Jacobson's heroines.  Beyond those two things I loved how Pepper totally lived up to her name.  I loved the relationship she had with her rival and his family.  I love the humor.  I like it when I can find humor in books without cringing at the awkwardness.  There is this fine line between laugh out loud funny awkwardness and cringe worthy awkwardness and I think Jacobson always rides the right side of the line.  

I definitely recommend this and all of her books for some fun lds reading.  Because her she reuses characters from her books or from another books storyline I recommend reading them in order of when the came out. 

No comments: