Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Baby update

So, I got the test results back from my blood work today. It all looks good. We left the hospital being told that we have a 1 in 1000 chance of having a down syndrome baby and after the blood work we now have a 1 in 8000 chance. So that is really good news. They also did a couple other tests the first I am not sure what it was but it came back as a 1 in 2700 chance and the last one they tested for a whole in the spine (which can cause babies to be really messed up) and there is a 1 in 10000 chance. So the test results were really positive.

For those of you who don't know why I needed my blood tested, I went in for my ultrasound yesterday and there were a few minor complications that could potentially be more serious. First they checked the blood flow to the baby and found that she is missing an artery in her umbilical cord. This will not be a threat post pardum, but while she is in the womb it can cause growth problems and is often linked with genetic abnormalities like down syndrome. Also when babies have this problem it is often linked with abnormalities in the kidneys. So they checked her kidneys and found that they are uneven and larger than they are supposed to be. Because she does have these problems with her kidneys she may potentially have post-natal problems. Mainly bladder infections. Because there are these two problems I will need to be monitored more frequently than a normal pregnant woman. At 28 weeks I need to go back in for another ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing like she is supposed to. And the last month of pregnancy the baby will need to be monitored every week. Then after she is born she will need tests done and will need to see a pediatrician. The pediatrician will be able to tell us whether this will pass or if other slightly more serious action needs to be taken.

So yesterday before we left the hospital we had my blood drawn so they could test the hormone levels and give us the likelyhood of certain abnormalities occuring. At this point we are happy that the test results came back the way they did. We are now just praying that she will grow like she is supposed to and all will be well with her after she is born. We are very excited to be having a girl and we are counting down the days until we get to meet her!!

1 comment:

Ashley H. said...

Sami! I'm so sorry that I didn't write sooner! I just read your blog! That's so scary! At least the tests came back negative!!! Oh my gosh...I would have written sooner but I've been so busy with school and everything else! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

I can't wait til you get here next week!! I need a haircut badly!! I am, however, having second thoughts about chopping it all off....but I'm not sure about that yet! We'll see! Talk to you lata chica! Be safe, and I love you!