So last night I had a good talk with my mother in-law about how to deal with stress related pain. Since Audree was about 3 months old I started dealing with random pain in my neck and shoulders. It now gets to the point where I feel like the pain never goes away. My neck and shoulders are always tight as can be and full of knots. It causes me to have lots of headaches and has been harder to manage now that I am pregnant and dealing with crazy hormones as well as the inability to take pain relievers.
I heard yoga was a very good way to release toxins and to relax your body. I've tried it a few times now when Audree is napping and it seemed to really help the pain for about an hour...which really my goal was to relieve the pain for a lot longer. I know Audree's weight has a huge impact on the pain, she's a solid baby, but I can't just ignore my baby all day and not pick her up. Audree's always been really attached to me and when she wants something, she comes to me, when she whines, she comes to me, when she wants to be picked up, she comes to me, when she's not feeling good, she comes to me and so on. So not picking Audree up is definitely not a good solution.
So last night I had a good discussion with my mother in-law that addressed a lot of things I have in my life that cause me stress. First she gave me some neck stretches to do a couple times a day. Then we had an enlightening conversation about self acceptance and not feeling the need to please everyone. Cuz what's more important, me feeling good and stress free or me being trapped in my desire to never hurt people's feelings. Along with that is knowing my boundaries. How far I can go with certain people, people that cause me stress and avoid situations that would take me past that level. I know that I get passionate about a lot of things, sports being one of them, and now that I am pregnant I get so much more angry so I've decided to walk away before I get angry and just not think about it. I've actually done pretty well with this especially considering the large disappointment that the byu football team and the Jazz have been this year so far. So I am taking this and running with it, meaning applying it to many areas of my life.
I wont be specific on what things I am going to apply it to because I don't want to offend anyone but I do know that it is important for me to think about myself and get rid of the things I know cause me stress. Anita suggested to pray about it, which stupidly enough I hadn't though about doing that before. I've also decided to set aside time while Audree is napping to read my scriptures so I can really focus and learn. Today I was reading about the Lord commanding Nephi to build a ship. Nephi was going about building the tools he would need to build the ship and Laman and Lemuel spotted him and started murmuring and confronted him in anger saying that the people of Jerusalem were actually not bad people and they did everything according to the law of Moses and they know that to be true and that Lehi was wrong and led them on false pretenses into the wilderness and has caused them all this excessive suffering. Then Nephi speaks very powerfully to them that the people of Jerusalem ARE wicked and that had they not left they too would have surely been destroyed. And he goes on speaking the truth to them and when he's finished Laman and Lemuel are angry with him and seek to kill him.
There are some Laman and Lemuel's in my life. People that will speak falsely and say things that fit their means while constantly avoiding truth and righteousness and claiming that the things they say are true. And no matter how much truth is spoken to them they go on in their ways and are angry at those who speak the truth and seek to "destroy" them.
Reading this scripture passage really helped me understand that is how some people will be and that they are not worth my time and they are definitely not worth stressing over. It's pushed me to do things I've been meaning to do for a really long time and I know in the end it will really help me reduce stress in my life. The "Laman and Lemuels" in this world are not worth my own personal time. I hope that those "Laman and Lemuels" will find their way and stop going about their days trying to hurt others and constantly prove themselves right but only they can make that decision, I can't make them make that decision. And I have come to terms with this. And I am grateful for the Book of Mormon that helped me understand this and myself a little better. And my mother in-law Anita for pushing me to understand that people like that aren't worth causing myself discomfort and pain over. I am learning and understanding how far I can go with people and I am working on that. And I am working on my self acceptance and not having to please everyone.
6 comments:
I am also a people pleaser, and I have the hardest time saying no and standing up for what I really want. It wasn't until Preslie died that I realized I could not take it anymore. I have gotten a lot better, but can always use improvement. I too have found that by reading the BOM daily, I feel better about myself and my ability to overcome the "Laman and Lemuels" in my life.
I don't have much to share about the stress part ... but when I was pregnant with Gavin I went to a chiropractor for similar pain and it worked wonders! I know some people think they are quacks or whatever, but it made SO much difference.
i am definitely full-o-knots, but that's because of my job.
:)
hope you feel better.
Well I hope I'm not one of those people. If I am let me know k and I will work on it. But I do have a suggestion. DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE! It hurts like no other but it works. I talked to my aunt-in-law which is a massage therapist and she said that those knots are caused by stress and that those same muscles are connected to where you can get headaches. It made so much more sense to me because I was going through the same thing.
P.S. If you guys are able to make it on Saturday for the birthday party you don't have to worry about a gift. I am telling everyone that we just want people to come and enjoy themselves!
oh good I'm glad. I would probably go to a massage therapy school just because it is cheaper. Then I would just go to a person that has been there the longest. You can say you are pregnant and make sure they do that for you. It really does help though. Hope to see you on Saturday. The game is at 12 and the thing is at 4 so I made it so no one would miss the game.
Post a Comment