So I just learned yesterday that my midwives do do elective inductions at 39 weeks+. They also strip membranes at 39 weeks. What does this mean for me? I am not sure. I have no decided what to do. I've been operating this whole pregnancy under the thought that my midwives don't do elective inductions and that this boy will just come whenever. So what do I do now that I know I have options?
Well first let me tell you one of the silly reasons why it would be nice to have this little guy at 39 weeks. Having baby boy exactly 7 days before my due date would continue the pattern we have established with our babies. Arya was due on the 30th but born on the 23rd. Audree was due on the 23rd but born on the 15th. This baby is due on the 15th so it would only be poetic if he was born on the 8th right? Ok, so I know this one is silly but wouldn't that be cool? I think so!
I went into labor on my own with Audree. It was not a good experience. I was induced with Arya. It was a great experience. Now that I've been through two labors I kind of want to know if this time around my body will know better what to do and not cause me to go through 2 days of painful labor to get the baby here. When things get going I have my babies pretty quickly. The midwife told me that even if I go into labor on my own I can still go pretty quickly. That would be nice.
As of right now I'm leaning more towards getting my membranes stripped at 39 weeks. With my past 2 pregnancies my body has been pretty ready to give birth at 39 weeks so I think it is possible that doing this would indeed get things going. I know sometimes people get their membranes stripped and nothing happens but if this is anything like past pregnancies then I think it would work out.
I do know that I would like to not go over my due date. I've never carried a baby past 39 weeks and I really think I'd go crazy carrying past 40. So I think maybe I'll set up an induction date on my due date and see what happens before then. I'm not opposed to being induced, I never have been. I am a fan of epidurals and for me being induced was the difference between 2 days of labor and 4 hours of labor. But I am interested to know what would happen this time if I wasn't induced.
Obviously I have a few weeks before I have to make those decisions but I'm sure it will be on my mind a lot before the time rolls around. If I were to make a guess it would be that this boy comes on his own between 39 and 40 weeks. It's really just around the corner and there is still so much to get done! April will be the month for getting the nursery done and hopefully it gets finished before he comes!!
No comments:
Post a Comment