Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lily

This is our new dog Lily. For those of you who are wondering what kind of dog she is, she is a Mi Ki. Mi Ki's are a fairly new breed of dog and being such aren't very common. Lucky for us Marks mom Anita breeds these dogs and she gave us LIly because she is no longer breedable and according to the kennel license she is only alowed a certain amount of dogs in the home and in order to continue breeding she had to give us Lily. We got Lily because her uterus is scarred from her last littler and her body naturally aborts the litter everytime she is pregnant. So we are definitely happy to have her, though it can be somewhat challenging for me at times.
For some reason Lily really likes me. We think it is because I am pregnant. She follows me wherever I go and when I sit down she jumps up to the couch and just stares at me. She wants to be on my lap all the time. We don't let her up on the couch but everytime I move or even adjust she jumps right back up to the couch likes she expects me to let her up or something. She is funny. And whenever Mark comes home, instead of running to Mark, she runs to me and jumps up to the side of the couch again. And when Mark comes over to play with her she will head over to him but come back to me like she is betraying me or something. It's quite funny. We think she feels like she has to be near me and take care of me because I have a baby. She is very motherly. It is somewhat challenging for me though being very sensitive to smells, her doggy smell is like magnified by 100 and smelling her sometimes makes me sick. So her wanting to be so close to me all the time is a little hard. But she is a good dog.
Anita, Marks mom, described Lily as a soft dog. Over the past few days we have definitely figured out why. Then night we brought her home it took us an hour to persuade her to come out of her kennel...she was so scared. Once she came out she would explore a little but then run back into the kennel. Then she would come back out and explore a little more. She is still afraid to come all the way into the kitchen. She comes part way and then runs away. She is quite a dainty dog. When we take her out to go potty she will not walk in the snow. So I cleared off some grass for her and I would try to get her to use it but she just kept doing her business on the sidewalk. So finally I had to pick her up and take her through the snow to a grassy patch. I started walking away and she walked onto the snow but wouldn't go very far cuz the snow got deeper the farther I went. So she just ran back to the grass and waited for me to come back for her. It's pretty funny. Now the tracks I've made in the snow are shallow enough that she will come by herself now but she jumps into my footprints. It's so cute.
Unfortunately we are pretty sure that Lily is in season right now so she is a little hard to manage. She doesn't want to be alone. When she is in her kennel she will make a groaning sound. Unfortunately we don't have time to let her be out all the time, but being in season makes her a little "horny" if you will and there are really no other dogs around so she has a hard time getting her energy out. Lucky for us she is a really clean dog and she keeps herself really clean at this time. Which we are grateful for. So that's miss Lily. She is really a great dog and hardly barks at all. We love having her around!





No comments: