Thursday, February 19, 2009

North and South

A while back when my sister was in a certain history class she brought up a movie that she wanted to watch called North and South. Not too much before that I had heard it mentioned by a friend of mine so I thought it would be worth watching. Best romantic movie ever and by far my favorite BBC production. I was happy when I got the movie for Christmas and I have probably watched it a little too much since I got it. So I decided I should probably read the book. I was interested to see how close the movie was to the book. I got the book for Valentine's Day and I finished the book on Monday. The book was good and I enjoyed reading it. I do think I like the movie better though. I may mot be saying the same thing had I read the book first but I think I like how some instances play out in the movie better. And I freaking love the movie version of the ending. If you are a fan of Jane Austen, if you are a fan of BBC or if you are a sucker for romance then I would definitely recommend this movie. It is a miniseries so it is 4 episodes that are an hour long each but I definitely think it is worth the time spent.

Because we have recently signed up with netflix I have been watching a lot of movies and TV shows. I have enjoyed seeking out British comedies and romances. On another recommendation of my sisters we rented Robin Hood. This TV series is great. It's jam packed with likable characters, action/intense moments and humor. We just finished up season 2 the other day and we are anxiously awaiting season 3 to be over and come out on DVD. There is an interesting plot twist at the end of season 2(which I accidentally spoiled for myself when I was on wikipedia looking up the show...ooops) so I am interested to see where they will go now. I really wish we had BBC America and I could have just recorded this whole season and started watching it now...but oh well. Someday when we have a house we will have BBC America. Once again for all of you British television lovers I would highly recommend this series. Good ol' BBC :)

2 comments:

Miri said...

I LOVE North & South! It's one of my favorites. Have you watched Cranford? It's BBC and it's really fantastic. Wives & Daughters and The Way We Live Now are also really good. Also, Mike's family used to watch this British comedy called Fawlty Towers, which is absolutely hilarious. If you haven't seen it, you should. The Orem library has it.
:)

Trevor and Colette Riley said...

North and South is the most addicting movie! I have never seen that version of Robin Hood. That would be fun to watch. Hey it doesn't show on my blog when you post something why is that do you know?