Have any of you mom's had problems with getting your child to take cow's milk? I have been trying to give her a bottle of milk once a day and she just wont have any of it. The first time I mixed it with breast milk she drank it all but then when I tried it again she wasn't so interested. So I've been trying just milk and it really isn't working. It's not easy for me to mix it with breast milk because frankly I just don't have enough.
For a full week now we have been down to nursing only 4 times a day. A huge accomplishment since like probably just a month ago she was feeding 6-8 times a day. Next week I will be attempting to cut down to 3 feedings a day and it would be a lot easier if she would just drink the cow's milk. Any suggestions on what to do? My only thought is that she wont start drinking cow's milk until I will no longer give her breast milk. But I don't know.
I'm determined to be done nursing(at least day time nursing) by her first birthday. If I want the plans for Mark's birthday to go like I want them to it is important that she can be at her grandparents all day long and not need me. Mark's birthday is 4 days after Arya's but my plans are for 7 days after she turns 1...
I would appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. I didn't nurse with Audree so weaning her from formula was quite easy...I'm sure milk tastes like a million times better than formula. And my freedom wasn't limited because she needed me to eat so there really was not much pressure either to get entirely off of formula.
2 1/2 weeks til Arya is 1. 2 1/2 weeks until it's officially ok to no longer breast feed. 2 1/2 weeks until my freedom is finally palpable. :)
2 comments:
I had an extremely hard time getting Brennen to drink cows milk!! He was formula fed and still didn't want to switch!! So I gave in and fed him formula till the dr told me that was enough and I had to make the switch! It was very hard and took and good week before he stopped fighting me on drinking it. I tried mixing a little chocolate or strawberry flavoring in it but that didn't work. The only way he started drinking milk was I got a sippy cup that had a straw and he loved that cup and that was what I made his milk cup. The first couple days he cried while he drank it and would not hold the cup himself. So he would sit on my lap and watch cartoons while I held his cup and made him drink it. After 2 days of this he finally got to where he would hold the cup himself and then eventually he actually started asking for it. I think the main thing is be very persistent that that is all they are going to be able to drink and don't give in to nurse or for me it was formula. I think he knew that if he threw a fit he would get what he wanted but he was wrong once I finally made up my mind:). Good luck she'll figure it out!!!
I had a hard time getting Caitlin to drink milk also. She never would take a bottle, so we went straight to a sippy cup. Our pediatrician recommended using Instant Breakfast in her milk. It is the only way I can get her to drink it. It is more healthy than the sugary flavorings. You could also try giving her some Pediasure for awhile. Caitlin gets about 1 can of that day also. Goodluck!!
Post a Comment