Thursday, February 9, 2012

Turning 25

Turning 25, for me, has been extremely uneventful.  I don't feel different, I have had no crisis...in fact it has probably been one of the least exciting birthdays I've ever had.  I've been pondering why it doesn't matter to me at all...or why it doesn't feel like anything and I think in part it has to do with where I live.  Almost everyone around me is older than me.  When I first moved in I vowed not to ever voluntarily give my age away.  People since have asked and I have told but I just don't make a big deal about it.  I guess in my mind I am already past 25.  But yet again I still have 5 years before I hit the dreaded 30.  Now 30 is a number that I "dread" and that will probably elicit a lot more of a response than this birthday did.  I am grateful to still be really pretty young but I don't really feel as young as I am.  I honestly don't think I ever have.  So that's why I don't think this birthday has been a big deal to me.

So here's what happened for my birthday.   First I helped the girls make me some flowers.  After we assembled them I let the girls draw whatever they wanted.  Arya just scribbled and made circles like she usually does.  If you wanna click on the picture to blow it up I'll explain to you what Audree drew, she is seriously too cute!  If you look at the picture in the middle above the red flower, that is the picture she drew of her baby brother.  To the left of that she drew a circle and a square and to the right of that, if you look at it upside down, she drew a mountain with snow coming down on it :) 

 After that we decided to make my cake.  I am a huge control freak in the kitchen so it was hard to let the girls help but they LOVED it! 
 Audree's just wondering where's the cake?  Just kidding but she is pretty obsessed with licking stuff clean.


Look at them two, thick as thieves :)  They loved stirring and sneaking in bites when they thought mommy wasn't looking.  They actually shared so nicely which is a rare thing anymore.  That is until I dumped the batter into a pan and let them lick the bowl clean.  They were all content to share up until it was almost gone and Audree fiercely fought for those last few bites, eventually Arya just gave up!

After we made the cake I went about making my birthday dinner.  Barbecue pepsi chicken and cheesy potatoes sounded good so that's what I made myself.  I also broke out our last sparkling cider from the holidays just to make myself feel a little more special.  After dinner we ate cake and when we weren't looking Audree put her naughty little fingers through the frosting across the whole rest of the cake.  After dinner I watched Princess Diaries 2(because I'm a princess...or something) then Royal Pains and then Modern family.  Not the most exciting birthday in the world but me and the girls had fun doing what we did.  


So have any of you seen Serendipity?  It came out a while ago(like when I was a youngin in high school).  Every time I watched it I was obsessed with when they went to that little shop called Serendipity.  That frozen hot chocolate they ate looked like the best thing in the whole world.  Ever since then I've tried my own ways of replicating this but I'm sure it's not ever been close.  Anyways, my sister was telling me how they just opened up a shop in DC and I was telling her how I've always wanted to go to New York to try one.  She surprised me by sending me some of their make at home packaged stuff.  I am so excited to try this I can't even express it!

Mark's present to me is obviously the master suite remodel and there will be pictures of that as soon as it is finished.  Our goal is to have it done by the end of this month so hopefully I'll have pictures to put up by then.

Oh, I should also mention that my sister also got me a toilet paper roll holder thing.  Our upstairs bathroom, since we moved in, has not had the little springy thing that you stick through the toilet paper roll and then hook it to the wall/counter(know what I'm talking about?).  Since my sister always uses that bathroom when she stays with us it was something that couldn't escape her notice.  I had a good laugh and she is excited to use it when she comes next :)  Happy 25 to me!

No comments: