Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Can't catch a break

You know those days...weeks...months...where you just can't seem to catch a break? It's just one thing after another. Since I have previously spoken of my struggle with breastfeeding I wont go into that at all except to say that I saw Mark's aunt and we were able to discover why breastfeeding Arya has been so difficult and she taught me some things to work with her and make it a bit easier. Progress! Yesterday started off so well. There were a few feeding sessions that worked out just like they were supposed to(even if they did take about an hour each time) and I felt like things were really starting to look up.

Well I went to the doc b/c I was having kidney pain and thought I probably had a bladder infection. I got some antibiotics and started them yesterday afternoon and by the evening Arya was screaming and every time I tried to feed her she would scream even harder. We concluded that she did NOT like the antibiotics. After a long evening of not being able to keep her calm we just got her a bottle of some of the frozen milk I had stored up and we were able to calm her down.

So now I will be on antibiotics for the next 7 days(I am trying a different one and tonight will be able to see how she reacts to it) and if she doesn't react well then I will be giving her a bottle of our stored up milk and pumping and throwing away the "infected" milk. All of our progress and hard work down the drain...I mean how can she go 7 days without breastfeeding and not get confused? It will be like taking 10 giant steps backwards...

Bladder infection...antibiotics not compatible with baby...probable regression...and to make things even better I have developed clogged ducts. I have no idea what could be causing them this time. Oy.

I am supposed to be drinking lots of extra fluids and all that stuff but all morning and afternoon I barely had a second to think of myself...well I thought of myself many times and became quite flustered that I couldn't pee when I needed to, I couldn't eat when i wanted to, I couldn't relax when I wanted to, I couldn't do many things that I wanted to because pumping, feeding, Audree here, there and everywhere...tantrum after tantrum. I think I had to reheat my lunch 3 times because when Arya is hungry she gets quite hysterical until she is fed...and her eating habits are so random that sometimes I have 3-4 hours between her feedings...but not this morning. This morning she decided to eat as slow as she possibly could falling asleep frequently and waking up abruptly when I set her down only to insist on being fed again. This went on for 3 hours! In 3 hours time I heated up 5 oz of milk!! for a newborn!!

I finally get some time to shower and I get out and Arya is hysterical once again. This time she was just tired and I was able to get her to sleep after about 30 minutes and she insisted that I held her while she slept. At 4 in the afternoon I finally got about an hour to myself and now Audree is awake and it's time to feed Arya again. Life definitely isn't dull right now...sometimes I really like dull...

1 comment:

Wanderingfamilies said...

So sorry! Pump, pump, pump! You don't want mastitis...I had that and HOLY cow is was PAINFUL and completely wiped me out! Good luck...if you need my help again, send me a message or call!