Friday, May 14, 2010

Losing weight

It's time for me to start thinking about losing weight. Actually losing weight isn't my ultimate goal. My ultimate goal is to be healthy. I'm pretty well equipped to eat healthy because I have a constant reminder in my mother in-law of what's healthy etc. Though I may constantly struggle with it I know what it is and given some determination and better budgeting I can be successful in this area.

As for the exercising though...well I've never been good at it. The only times I've ever been fit in my life have been when I've had physical education classes in school and was pretty much forced to be active or risk getting a bad grade. Well taking classes right now, though probably the best way for me to go about things isn't a very good option. I have 2 kids, one that needs me roughly every 2 hours to eat and more often to pay attention to her. I don't have family close by(except in-laws that come with their own hefty responsibilities) and I don't have the money to pay for a babysitter.

Also the gym is out of the question. The only way I'd be comfortable at the gym is if I had a gym buddy, which I don't and don't know anyone who can sync up their schedule with mine and our husbands/kids/other obligations. I obviously can't go with Mark because that brings up the whole issue of what to do with our kids...plus having to be quick enough that I can be back in time to take care of Arya.

So ultimately I am more comfortable with doing a workout at home where I can be where I need to be and also get done what I need to get done. Well the obvious problems with this are:
1. just not doing it because I don't feel like it
2. not finding an "ideal" time to do it
3. finding the motivation to get off my butt and do it everyday or consistently enough that it is effective and
4. giving in to the many many excuses I can think of not to do it

I need help! Ideas, hints, suggestions...any of it. What do you guys do? How do you find the motivation? time? determination? What are your favorite things to do?

I have been thinking about taking on Jillian Michaels. I know tons of people like her and find her effective, even if she is tough. I know the number on the scale isn't as important to me as I just want to be toned and healthy. I know I will never look like Jillian Michaels, that's not my goal. But I want to look the best I can given that I have given birth twice and have lovely stretch marks and extra skin. So please, what dvd's/methods of home workouts would you guys recommend?

I know I can go walking with my girls. That will pass time by as well as give me some exercise...but I suck at getting motivated to get ready and get out of the house. This really shouldn't be so complicated but I know I make it so. Anyways, I'd love some advice and to hear what you all do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried doing home workouts (plus even bought an elliptical) and I'd do it a little, but eventually stopped all together. I had to have motivation.
It's hard when you have little ones. I got a gym membership about 2 years ago and took my kids to the childcare... Gavin at the time was so clingy that he would just cry the whole time, so I cancelled it. Now that he is older I got a membership again and I go almost everyday! That is amazing for me, but knowing I'm paying for it and loving lifting weights and the classes they have, it really motivates me and the results are sooo much quicker then anything I tried at home.
Probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe you can try at home workouts until your baby is older (I've heard Jillian's 30 day shred is good, as is P90X, which I've done) and then look into a gym if that doesn't work out. My gym is super clean and the childcare is free with membership.
And I hear ya on the loose skin and stretch marks!

Christine said...

you totally hit on the two things i was going to recommend.

they say that walking burns fat. stacia's blog says that "fat burns in a glucose fire," so i try to make sure i eat before walking and then walk fast or uphill or long or with weights or a combination of those. i haven't been walking for very long or very consistently, so i can't really report on results.

i love workout videos. here's my thoughts on those:

i tried the 30 day shred and didn't see great results. you have to take that with a grain of salt, though. i never finished. i would get 12 or 15 or 19 days in and then stopped doing it. then next time i'd start over from the beginning. i need to buckle down and do it until i'm done. i think a big part of my problem, though, is that i don't always eat well and i have a job that keeps me mostly sedentary.

the best shape i was ever in was when i was walking 60+ mins a day and doing something else (like running, a video, etc.). when i lived at glenwood and was walking around campus all day, i stayed a lot thinner. when i worked as a waitress and was on my feet all day, i stayed a lot thinner. but it's hard to get that much exercise in, especially when you have a family.

one last thing you always hear is to lift weights to increase muscle mass because muscle burns more calories. (i've never been really good at this. i don't particularly care for lifting weights, and i should.) i read an article, however, that talked about women on birth control and lifting. (i don't know if you're on birth control or not - i don't know how that works after having a baby.) apparently women on birth control have harder time building lean muscle mass, and if you don't have lean muscle to burn calories, then it's harder to lose weight, or something like that. so if you are on birth control, keep that in mind.

i would totally be your workout buddy but i know that you are a busy lady. we could pick a gym in between the two of us and meet there? i dunno. sometimes gym memberships are expensive. maybe we could at least be our own support group? if i had to report to you every day my exercise and what i ate, i might care more!

:)

Nic said...

Hey Sami,
I have this workout thing called "The Firm" I have three dvd's that I rotate and it comes with two steps. I LOVE it. It works out everything and its pretty fun. I was looking through pictures and found one of me during senior year in a bikini and I put it on the fridge! I'd sleep in workout clothes and wake up ealier to work out before the boys would wake up. I haven't done that in awhile because I'm pregnant and lazy again but I'll jump back on that wagon next year! Also one of the things that we saw on an infomercial ( i love watching those silly things on Sunday mornings) is something called Hip Hop Abs. That and a Zumba dvd. Do something that will be fun and you aren't going to dread getting up to do. Good luck :)

Rylie said...

Check out www.trainermomma.com She has some great workouts you can do at home and they are really easy. My advice is to get into a routine with your girls then squeeze in time here and there. Good luck!

Stacia said...

Sami,
I have a couple of Jillian videos and, I'm sure I have told you before, I love them! I am a big fan also of the Biggest Loser videos. My arms have gotten so toned! They can be intense, but you feel SO good after!! I also have noticed that my workouts are easier when I haven't been eating too much sugar. Sugar gives you that energy, but then the 'hit the wall' feeling. Not so good! Another great way to get toned is to do kickboxing while holding light hand weights. Even 2.5 lb weights make a huge difference!! If you have any questions about anything, send me an email!