Tuesday, August 10, 2010

baby weight and nursing

There are many things that I think people tell us in order to make us do things and I think one of the biggest lies we are told after having a baby is that nursing helps you lose weight. I actually more often hear the opposite that most people can't get off those last 10 pounds until they stop nursing. Especially since while you are nursing you are supposed to be taking in like 400 more calories then you did pre-pregnancy.

I don't know about any of you other nursing mothers out there but the only things nursing seems to have done for me is make me a million times more hungry, so I eat a ton more then I feel like I should, but then I guess in return I don't gain any more weight. Not gaining more weight is one thing and losing weight is another. So why do they always say that nursing helps you lose weight? My suspicion is that they are just playing off of people's vanity to get them to nurse. To me that's a little ridiculous because the money saved is all I need to hear. We did the formula route with Audree and I frequently said bye bye to another 26 dollars as we had to buy another can of formula...a hundred times over. I happen to really dislike nursing...I think it is inconvenient(unless you enjoy/don't mind whipping your boobs out wherever you go...me, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it even though I have a nursing cover), I think it is time consuming and I think it has driven me slightly more insane then I was before. I think just nursing alone may have changed my mind on how many kids I want to have. I'll be beyond happy when I have a legit excuse to quit. So why do I nurse? Quite simply because it saves money and there are antibodies in breast milk that are so good for babies and to strictly pump for any significant amount of time would be insane(for me).

To get to my pre-pregnancy weight I still have 8 pounds to go, to get to my goal weight I have 11 pounds to go. Now I don't expect those 11 pounds to just disappear but I didn't expect to still be holding onto every single pound left after I lost the initial pregnancy weight. The joys of having children :) But hey, Audree enjoys playing with my jelly belly!! and Arya uses it to practice her kickboxing ;) So at least my post 2 children body is good for some things :)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I think it took my sister-in-law almost a year to get back down to her pre-pregnancy weight, and she nursed exclusively!

And...it probably depends on the woman. I've known some who did lose weight nursing and some who didn't.