Are you the type of person that loves whole milk but settles for 1% because you don't want to drink all the fat? It's interesting, growing up we never had whole milk, ever. We would occasionally do 2% but mostly ended up with 1%. I've always been ok with drinking 1% though I was never silly enough to go all the way down to skim milk. I mean I might as well be drinking water. I've always been a huge milk person. It's just so refreshing and everything washes down so well with it. My family cut their milk intake in half when I moved out. They also started buying skim milk which I am so thankful I was not there for :)
I know a lot of people who will buy two different kinds of milk. Vitamin D(whole milk) for their children and reduced fat milk for them. I had every intent of doing this when Audree started drinking milk but my mother in-law, who's a certified holistic nutritionist and is daily increasing her knowledge on nutrition, said that whole milk is actually better for you. She drinks unpasteurized and unhomogenized milk, something I will never do, but she says that the fat that comes from whole milk is good fat, fat that your body needs and wants and metabolizes well. Because whole milk has all the nutrition without being forced into it it is healthier for you. Many argue that it's just the same to have skim milk with all the nutrition added to it, but I disagree. We have been drinking whole milk for about 6 months now and I haven't gained a single pound. On the whole I have been healthier. In fact it is easier for me to eat healthier. Which my mother in-law says that my eating healthier has a lot to do with why my morning sickness isn't terrible. My sister, who gains weight a lot easier then I do also has not gained any weight on the whole milk and same goes for Mark. For me that is all the proof I need :) Especially if you love the taste of whole milk :)
Though sometimes it causes me unneeded stress I am grateful to have a mother-in-law with all this knowledge. I know being healthy is important and now it is constantly at the front of my mind. I rarely cook any of the same things I used to cook because now I am always cooking things that are healthier. Being so aware of all this stuff can sometimes be a burden because sometimes I just wanna eat unhealthy. But it's definitely served me better knowing then not. My mother in-law believes in traditional nutrition and it has served both of our families well. I've learned to cook with butter instead of margarine. I've learned to eliminate most of the high fructose corn syrup from our diet. I've learned that fat doesn't mean you'll get fat. It's all about eating the right fats. I've learned that it is perfectly ok to put dressing on salads, in fact it is better for you. I love this perspective on nutrition. A lot of diets now a days eliminate so many foods that it just isn't enjoyable to eat anymore. But this way I stay healthy and get to eat very tasty food. There are a few things that I wont give up...ketchup, sour cream...you know stuff like that. But all in all I eat better and I feel better and I am not starving myself or restricting myself to the point of suffering. Cuz life would just suck that way. Food is so important to me. When i go a certain amount of time without food I actually get really mean. So knowledge is power. Learn the true facts and not the diet fads in this world. Moderation in all things and that includes sweets. They do not need to be eliminated from your diet. That would be silly and harsh. Be moderate and enjoy eating good food!
2 comments:
Ryan and I have drank whole milk the entire 7 years we've been married :).I have stayed the same weight our whole marriage... can't say the same about Ryan, but I would not say milk was the cause :). Now when I taste 2% it just doesn't taste right!
i like this. i need to be better!
Post a Comment